Life and Music
Jared Plane is an electric and upright bassist, composer, teacher and video-maker situated in Canberra, Australia. He graduated from the Australian National University School of Music in 2011 with a Bachelor of Music Degree (Honours) majoring in Jazz Performance. During his four years at the School, Jared received instruction and guidance from Eric Ajaye, a member of the Jazz Faculty, and former Los Angeles based double bassist. Jared’s compositional and improvisational approach stems from his research into, “The Improvisational Style of Hank Mobley” in 2010, and “The Improvisational Style of Dexter Gordon” for his Honours Year Thesis in 2011. He received First Class Honours for his research thesis on Dexter Gordon.
During his time at the School of Music, Jared was featured on a collection of contemporary, and eclectic CD releases. These include:
- Peter Olney, “Before The Dawn” (2010)
- Patrick Hutching’s Jazz Orchestra: “City Festival” (2011)
- Rachel Lole Quintet: “On My Mind” (2013)
- RasRufus: “Tanzverbot” (2013).
Musicians and Venues
As a performing musician, Jared has had the privilege of working with many of Australia’s great jazz musicians, as well as International artists. These include, most notably:
- Bill Cunliffe (Grammy Award winning jazz composer and arranger)
- John Riley (American jazz drummer – played with Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie and Stan Getz)
- Erroll Buddle (Principle saxophonist for The Australian Jazz Quartet)
- Steve Newcomb (Leading Australian jazz pianist, composer and arranger)
- Miroslav Bukovsky (ARIA Award winning jazz trumpeter and arranger)
As a working musician, Jared has performed all around Canberra at venues including the Hyatt Hotel, Old and New Parliament House, Diamont Hotel, Llewellyn Hall, The Lobby Restaurant, The German Embassy, The Gods Cafe, Floriade and The Street Theatre – as well as Interstate performances at The Moruya and Merimbula Jazz Festivals, and Shaw Winery in Murrumbateman.
In 2011, Jared launched his self-titled YouTube channel which has grown to an audience of over 10,000 subscribers. The channel features over 150 electric and double bass lessons, electric and double bass improvisations, original compositions and transcription performances. Jared’s video lessons feature both free and premium sheet music, and backing tracks available for immediate download from the Store.